How to Make:
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan to high. Place beef on a large oven tray, drizzle with 60ml (1/4 cup) oil, then season with freshly ground black pepper. Cook, turning frequently, for 25 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Rest, covered loosely with foil, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make red onion jam, heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium–high heat. Add star anise, cinnamon, garlic and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are soft. Stir in thyme, sugar, wine and lemon zest and juice. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium, then simmer for 7 minutes or until syrupy. Transfer to a bowl, then refrigerate for 15 minutes or until cool.
- To make salad, whisk lemon juice, parsley, thyme and remaining 60ml (1/4 cup) oil in a large bowl. Add figs and witlof, and toss to combine.
- Slice beef, then divide among plates with salad. Serve with red onion jam.
Time for preparing:30 min. PT30M
- 1.2kg piece beef eye fillet, trimmed (see top tip)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped lemon thyme
- 6 small figs, cut into wedges
- 3 witlof, leaves separated Red onion jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped lemon thyme
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced