How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a round 20cm (base measurement) cake pan and line the base with baking paper. Place the butter and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until butter is melted and the mixture is well combined. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla seeds in a jug. Add to the flour mixture along with the butter mixture. Use a balloon whisk to gently fold together until combined. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese topping, use a spatula to stir the cream cheese, maple syrup and cocoa powder in a bowl until well combined. Spread over the cake. Sprinkle with coconut.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 125g butter, chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) dark cocoa powder
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped Cream cheese topping
- 250g spreadable cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 20g (1/4 cup) shredded coconut, toasted